Traffic and road safety information


Below is a list of questions we frequently get asked regarding our traffic and road safety provisions 

Vehicle Speeds


Speeding and Speed Limits

If you are concerned about the speed at which vehicles are travelling on a particular road, these concerns should be reported directly to Police Scotland, or by calling the 101 non-emergency number and providing as much detail as possible.

The Ayrshire Roads Alliance have no powers to take enforcement action against drivers suspected of breaking legal speed limits. Speeding is classified as a moving traffic offence, and enforcement of speeding is a matter for Police Scotland.


Requests for 30mph repeater signs

We are not able to install 30mph repeater signs on street lit roads as the presence of street lighting itself conveys this information to drivers. 

Unfortunately some drivers will drive in excess of the legal speed limit, either as they are deliberately choosing not to comply, or are not paying sufficient attention to their speed, perhaps due to complacency or familiarity with the road. 

Enforcement of speed limits is a matter for Police Scotland


How are 20 mph speed limits enforced?

Police Scotland’s 20mph enforcement policy (in line with Scottish Government guidance) is that they will not routinely enforce such limits unless it is absolutely necessary and in the interest of casualty reduction.

The only exception to this is the enforcement of 20 mph speed limits outside schools.

Further information can be found within the enforcement section detailed in articles 40, 41 and 42 of the Scottish Government’s good practice guide.


Can I request a lower/different speed limit for my road?

We do not consider individual requests for changes to speed limits.

The majority of changes to existing speed limits are to account for changes to the road environment as a result of development or as a result of a demonstrable pattern of injury accidents that could be meaningfully addressed by the provision of a different speed limit.  

These changes are identified through the Council’s planning process and through reviews of reported injury accidents in conjunction with Police Scotland. 

In order to be respected by motorists, speed limits need to be consistently applied over the whole road network. 


Can I request a reduction in speed limit a rural hamlet?

In order to be respected by motorists, speed limits need to be consistently applied over the whole road network. 

The Department for Transport Guidance on setting local speed limits recommend that the minimum length of a village speed limit should be 600 metres. However, traffic authorities may lower this to 400 metres, and in exceptional circumstances to 300 metres. 

We have previously undertaken a comprehensive review of speed limit signing, and speed limits have been provided or offered to communities which meet the above criteria.


Can I request a Safety Camera?

Safety Cameras Scotland are responsible for the implementation of the Scottish Safety Camera Programme to improve driver behaviour.

The criteria for the deployment of a camera through the programme must be done so primarily where they have the greatest potential to reduce injury collisions, and where there is evidence of both collisions and speeding. 

Through targeted camera enforcement and improving driver behaviour the aim of Safety Cameras Scotland is to reduce the number of casualties on Scotland's roads. This means their cameras are sited in the areas most in need in terms of road casualty reduction, and deployed primarily where they will have the greatest casualty and collision reduction potential.

When selecting sites to enforce, Safety Cameras Scotland follow a site selection process where strict criteria are applied.

These criteria are set out in the Scottish Safety Camera Programme Handbook and include:

  • A history of injury collisions - have people been injured on this road and how severely?
  • Speed profile - is there a problem with speed on this road?
  • Agreement from partners - do Police Scotland and the Roads Authority agree that a safety camera is the right solution?
  • Enforcement strategy - what will be the best type of camera for this location?
  • Site review - an annual review - is this camera reducing injury collisions?



Traffic Calming


What is traffic calming?

Traffic calming takes many forms, some physical such as road humps or chicanes, others more behavioural such as gateway treatments, road space reallocation, lining and signing changes or other pedestrian priority measures. 

Physical traffic calming schemes are often contentious, and finding a balance between features that provide a sufficient speed reducing effect and which are also supported by residents can be difficult. 

Traffic calming schemes will therefore only be promoted where there is demonstrable evidence that there is a significant issue with excessive vehicle speeds and where there is confidence that the provision of traffic calming will have a measurable speed reducing benefit.  

Traffic calming measures will not be installed on a road with a speed limit above 30mph or on a road without street lighting.


Can I request traffic calming measures in my road?

Individuals requesting traffic calming measures will be advised that they should report concerns about vehicle speeds to Police Scotland in the first instance. 

Officers from the Ayrshire Roads Alliance meet regularly with Police Scotland and areas where there are persistently high speeds despite enforcement action are brought to our attention for further review.  Any locations which are identified through this process would be added to a future annual works programme to be progressed as and when resources permit.

The introduction of traffic calming features in response to speeding concerns will only be progressed in instances where a speed survey provides evidence of an underlying speeding issue, and where speeding persists despite targeted enforcement action by Police Scotland.


There are traffic calming features on my road, can I ask for them to be removed?

We understand that traffic calming measures can be contentious but we do not action individual requests to remove traffic calming features.  

The traffic calming measures will have been installed previously to address an issue with vehicle speeds or volumes and it is likely that other people within the community will feel differently about their provision.

Road humps are often cited as causing damage to vehicles, or nuisance to surrounding properties from noise/vibration however, the use and profile of road humps on the public road is controlled by legislation to ensure that these negative impacts do not occur. 

Government research has repeatedly found that it is very unlikely that even superficial building damage would be caused by vibration from vehicles running over humps or cushions.


Road Safety Concerns


Can I request the installation of warning signs?

Warning signs are provided to highlight upcoming hazards that a driver may not reasonably be able to anticipate.  

Their use is site specific and dependant on the specific circumstances of the site, this includes but is not limited to road environment on the approach to the hazard, approach speeds, forward visibility, and likelihood of encountering the hazard. 


Can I request a “children playing” sign?

We do not provide children playing signs for use on the public road network. Parents and carers of young children must take all necessary steps to ensure that they do not play or encroach onto roads which carry traffic - regardless of the speed limit or road environment.


Can I request a “horse” warning sign?

Horse warning signs are only provided in locations where approaching vehicles may be likely to encounter horses, i.e. near livery yards and on road sections of frequently used hacking routes. 

If you would like to request a horse warning sign, please email us a map with your request highlighting the “on road link” of the hacking route where horses may regularly be encountered on the road together with details of the route used and likely numbers of riders.


Can I request a warning sign for another type of hazard such as a bend, road narrowing, junction etc?

We do not consider individual requests for warning signs on the A and B class road network.  

To ensure that we are taking a consistent approach to the signing of oncoming hazards on the main road network, we have undertaken route assessments of all A and B class roads applying a consistent criteria to identifying and signing hazards. 

If a sign is missing, please use the fault reporting system to request a replacement. 

Changes to our road signing strategy are identified through reviews of reported injury accidents in conjunction with Police Scotland. In order to be respected by motorists, the approach need to be consistently applied over the whole road network. 


Can I request double white lines on the road?

We do not consider individual requests for double white lines on public roads.  

Double white lines should only be used to prohibit overtaking at locations where visibility is restricted and as contravention of the line is an offence, Police Scotland would require to be consulted whenever we propose to install new double white line markings.


What is the ARA’s role in accident prevention?

All road users have a responsibility to themselves and to others to travel with due care and attention. 

Unfortunately even with the best driving practice - leaving plenty of space between vehicles, driving to the road conditions, regard for weather, incidents can occur.  

We use reported injury accident data from Police Scotland to review incidents which occur on our road network to identify any emerging patterns or areas of concern. Where patterns of incidents are identified, the Ayrshire Roads Alliance will investigate and implement mitigation measures as considered appropriate. 

Our road safety team also run a range of education campaigns and events each year focusing on particularly vulnerable or high risk groups to promote and support best practice and safe behaviours when using the road network.


Can I report a road safety concern?

If you feel there is a road safety concern not covered by the guidance provided on this page, then details of your concerns should be passed to the Ayrshire Roads Alliance on

It should be noted that matters relating to speeding should be reported to Police Scotland.

All road users have a responsibility to themselves and to others to travel with due care and attention. 

We use reported injury accident data from Police Scotland to review accidents that have occurred on our road network to identify any emerging patterns.

If there is an identifiable pattern and it is something that can be addressed by the roads authority then we investigate and implement mitigation measures where it is feasible to do so. 

As interventions are data led we do not action individual requests for intervention on the basis of concerns such as an area being “an accident waiting to happen”


Someone has been seriously hurt or killed when using the road, what action will the roads authority take?

All road users have a responsibility to themselves and to others to travel with due care and attention. 

Unfortunately even when following the best road safety practice incidents do occur and sadly ultimately can result in death.

We have regular meetings with Police Scotland and undertake joint site inspections particularly following fatal injury collisions to determine any action that the roads authority could reasonably take to reduce the likelihood or severity of such a collision occurring again.





What is the law in relation to driving on the footway?

It is an offence to drive on a footway and such incidences should be reported online to Police Scotland or on their 101 non-emergency number.

It is only permissible for drivers to drive across a public footway at a formalised access crossing intended to provide access to a driveway or private access road. It is not appropriate for drivers to use the footway to avoid oncoming vehicles. 


What should I do if I can’t use a public footway because vehicles are parked on the footway?

Obstruction of a footway is an offence and such incidences should be reported online to Police Scotland or on their 101 non-emergency number. 

If there are parking restrictions in place (double/single yellow lines) then our parking enforcement team may be able to take action. 

Such incidences should be reported to with “Request for parking enforcement” in the subject line and as much information as possible about the issues.


What should I do if a parked car is causing an obstruction? 

Parking vehicles in a way that creates an obstruction can cause problems with neighbours, traffic flow and congestion.

If you find your private access or driveway regularly obstructed by on-street parking, then a potential option may be to apply for an H bar marking. This is an advisory marking that highlights the driveway to other road users reducing the likelihood of obstructive parking. Another alternative would be a no parking sign to display at the property.


Can I request new double/single yellow lines?

The need for new waiting or loading restrictions in the form of yellow lining will require to be supported by an evidence base. It should be noted that yellow lining is intended to help ensure the safe operation of the public road network.

Requests for parking restrictions (double/single yellow lines) to help control parking behaviours rather than to respond to road safety risks will not be supported. Details of good parking behaviours are set out in the Highway Code

It should be noted that no one has a reserved right to park on a public road. Parking is tolerated in situations where it does not create an obstruction or negative impact on traffic movement and/or road safety.

Road signing and lining clearly sets out where parking is/isn’t appropriate e.g. putting a keep clear sign, double yellow lines etc. If it is a school zig zag markings are more restrictive than double yellow lines which is more suitable at the school entrance.


Can I request parking restrictions in my road?

We do not approve requests for parking restrictions on residential roads. 

We do not provide parking restrictions in turning areas, cul-de-sacs or solely to assist with access from private residential driveways which cover parking too close to or opposite junctions and parking on the row of a hill etc.

Residents experiencing difficulties exiting their driveways due to parked vehicles should consider the guidance around H-bar marking applications provided elsewhere on this page.


Pedestrian Safety


Why is there no longer a school crossing patroller at my Zebra crossing?

The school crossing patrol service is managed by East and South Ayrshire Council’s Facilities Management team and due to resourcing issues we no longer automatically replace patrollers who operate at light controlled or Zebra crossings.

This enables each Council to deploy patrollers at necessary locations where there are no crossing facilities.


Can I request a “pedestrian in the road” warning sign?

Pedestrian in the road signs are not provided on the rural road network in the vicinity of rural hamlets, properties or communities where there are no nearby footways and it should be expected that vehicles may need to share the road environment with other road users including pedestrians.   

This type of sign is likely only to be approved for missing footway links on busier main road environments where pedestrians are otherwise on remote footpaths or footways. 

If you would like to request a pedestrian in the road sign, please email us a map with your request highlighting the “missing link” where pedestrians might be encountered on the road together with details of the routes they are using and likely numbers of pedestrians using the link.


Can I request a new signal controlled crossing?

We do not consider individual requests for signalised pedestrian crossings.

Signal controlled pedestrian crossings can generally only be justified where there is a conflict between large numbers of vehicles, and large numbers of pedestrians; a high percentage of more vulnerable pedestrians who would benefit from the added security of a signal controlled crossing, or a cycle route where a toucan crossing to assist both pedestrians and cyclists would be most appropriate.

Crossing provision is based on a conflict assessment between pedestrians and vehicles. In some instances the numbers of pedestrians and/or vehicles will only justify a simple uncontrolled crossing point consisting of dropped kerbs to highlight safe places to cross. As pedestrian and vehicle numbers increase, so too would the scale of pedestrian facility needed, which could include pedestrian refuge islands to make it possible to cross a wide road in two stages, up to controlled crossing facilities such as zebra crossings or signal controlled crossings.  


What do I do if drivers are not obeying Zebra crossings?

Police Scotland can deal with Zebra crossing offences by issue of a parking fine (known as an endorsable conditional offer of fixed penalty), provided road markings are in good condition and the flashing “Belisha Beacons” are operational.

Further guidance on this matter can be found in The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997 which states precedence of pedestrians over vehicles at Zebra crossings:

25.—(1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.

(2) Where there is a refuge for pedestrians or central reservation on a Zebra crossing, the parts of the crossing situated on each side of the refuge for pedestrians or central reservation shall, for the purposes of this regulation, be treated as separate crossings.


What constraints apply to the formation of a new vehicular access?

A new vehicular access requires to be designed to appropriate technical standards, and may require planning consent. We would advise that if you are thinking of creating a new vehicular access that you consult the Planning department for clarification. 

Any new access design shall require to be fully compliant with the technical standards as set out in the SCOTS National Roads Development Guide.

Before any works can be undertaken on (or adjacent to) the public road network, you will also be required to obtain a Road Opening Permit. This permit authorises your appointed contractor to legally work on the public road. Details of this process can be found on the Ayrshire Roads Alliance website


Do you offer pre-planning advice?

The Ayrshire Roads Alliance are unable to offer pre-planning advice for minor planning applications.  Our role in the planning process is as an internal consultee, to help Planning officers reach an appropriate determination or recommendation when assessing an application. This involves a review of factors relevant to traffic and transportation, which includes travel by all modes of transportation including walking, cycling, wheeling, public transport, and vehicle travel.

In terms of our review of a local planning application, in most instances the main factors we would be seeking to review will include:

  • The suitability of access design (access location, visibility, construction details, etc);
  • Appropriate parking provision;
  • Appropriate supporting information and detail to allow a full review of proposals


Any new development proposals shall require to be fully compliant with the technical standards as set out in the SCOTS National Roads Development Guide.

In locations where the application includes a new vehicular access onto a public road, one of the main challenges is likely to be achieving appropriate visibility splays from a new access – the visibility standards are set out in the SCOTS National Roads Development Guide.

Some of the issues which can affect achieving appropriate visibility include the road in the vicinity of your frontage being fairly winding, relatively constrained in width, the speed limit of the adjacent road (the higher the road speed, the greater the visibility length that needs to be achieved), and if the road is lined by hedgerows or other obstructions which could further impede visibility.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all elements of the design are appropriate, and satisfy the Council’s adopted standards. Failure to achieve any of the adopted standards is likely to result in a recommendation for refusal from the Ayrshire Roads Alliance.


Contact information 


Phone: 01563 503 160


Address:  Ayrshire Roads Alliance, Opera House, 8 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock, KA1 1DD