Delivering a shared Council roads and transportation service across East and South Ayrshire

Road occupation permit

sIf you want to put building materials, scaffolding, cranes, hoists, huts or anything else in the road within East or South Ayrshire (except the A76 or A77 Trunk Roads), you are required to obtain a road occupation permit.

If anything is placed on the public road without first obtaining a permit an offence is committed under Section 58 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984.

To place anything on a Trunk Road, you should obtain a licence from Scotland TranServ who operate and maintain the trunk road network in South West Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government.



Road occupation permit
LocationApplication formsCost
East Ayrshire

TOR9 Conditions For Occupation of a Road

TOR1 Road Occupation (Building Works) Application

TOR3 Road Occupation (Scaffold) Application

TOR7 Road Occupation (Crane) Application


*plus an administration fee of £66




South Ayrshire

Road Occupation Permit Application Form



*plus an administration fee of £66


plus an administration fee of £66What happens next?

Before considering an application Ayrshire Roads Alliance must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

It is in the public interest that the Ayrshire Roads Alliance must process your application before it can be granted. An obstruction cannot be placed on a public road without the permission of Ayrshire Roads Alliance. We would expect to process your application within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

If you wish to complain about a permit holder then please contact us.



rating button