Ayrshire Roads Alliance Logo
Delivering a shared Council roads and transportation service across East and South Ayrshire

Frequently Asked Questions



Winter FAQ's
Which roads do the Ayrshire Roads Alliance grit? The Ayrshire Roads Alliance undertake gritting on its main road network and other important roads.


Generally routes are planned based on the following criteria: 

"A" and "B" class roads.

Accessibility network whereby at least one road to each settlement is treated. 

In urban areas district distributer roads providing for major traffic movements within towns and districts. 

Local distributer roads providing for traffic movements into and out of towns, and linking residential and commercial districts. 

Access routes to Hospitals and Schools.

Roads with steep gradients that fall towards main roads in residential areas (as far as practical)

Why does the Council not grit all the roads and footpaths?

The Ayrshire Roads Alliance is responsible for over 2461 km of carriageway and over 1971 km of footway/footpath.

We do not have the manpower or financial resources to treat this level of asset in our Winter Service Plan.

The extent of our gritting of precautionary carriageway network is typical of the level of service provided by other authorities.

How often are roads gritted? 

Roads covered in our priority one gritting routes are gritted upon receipt of a weather forecast indicating the onset of frost, ice or snow provided the forecast is issued sufficiently early.

This is usually carried out prior to the onset of adverse weather conditions.

Priority two and three gritting routes are gritted as and when resources are available.

Who decides whether the roads are gritted? 

The Ayrshire Roads Alliance use a weather forecasting service and decides to grit the network based on the forecast received.

The decision to grit the road is taken by the Winter Controller who is on standby 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

How do i know if my area has been gritted?

The Ayrshire Roads Alliance have implemented a Gritter Tracking system

Gritter Tracking provides details of out of hour winter service operations.

Gritters can be viewed from 4pm on receipt of adverse weather forecast.

Who is responsible for gritting private roads and car parks? 

Private Roads                 The owners of the road

Private Car Parks            The owner/operator of the car park

Doctors Surgeries            The local practice

Hospitals                          NHS Ayrshire

What about the other roads? Other roads will be considered for treatment, if there is an extended period of sub-zero temperatures or a significant snowfall. 
How do I request a new grit bin? 

You can request a new grit bin by downloading a paper copy of our Grit Bin Policy and Request form or alternitively read our Grit Bin Policy and populate the Grit Bin Requst form below 


  • Grit Bin Request Form
  • I have read and understand the guidance notes
  • 1. Application
  • Name
  • Address
  • Is this application being made on behalf of an organisation?
  • Organisation Address
  • 2. Proposed Location
  • 3. Checklist
  • Is the proposed location on a steep gradient?
  • Is the proposed location within an urban area?
  • Is the proposed location on a public road?
  • Is the proposed location out with junction visibility splay?
  • Is the proposed location more than 200m from nearest grit bin?
  • I confirm that I have read and understood the Guidance notes and Conditions relevant to this application.
  • Name





How do I request that a grit bin is refilled?  Call 01563 503 160 (during working hours) 
Can I provide assistance within my Local Area?

Yes!! The Ayrshire Roads Alliance (ARA) actively promote winter resilience.

We work with local groups throughout East and South Ayrshire, and on request can provide winter equipment, training and personal protective equipment (PPE) to any interested groups who are willing to grit local footways and path access when ARA resources are not available.

Should you wish to make such arrangements please contact us

Call 01563 503 160 (during working hours) 

Where can I get salt? 

If you're in East Ayrshire small quantities of salt for use on the adopted road and footways adjacent to your property can be collected from grit bins located in your local area.

Residents within South Ayrshire can request small quantities (one bag) which are available from: 

Meadowhead Road Depot, Coylton, KA6 6LX

Grangestone Road Depot, Girvan, KA26 9PF

Do you supply bags?

Unfortunately we cannot provide bags, you would require to bring a suitable container and a shovel to lift it.

Within South Ayrshire one bag of salt is provided per resident.


What do I do if my vehicle has been damaged by a gritter? 

If your vehicle has been damaged by a gritter call the Ayrshire Roads Alliance on 01563 503 160 (during working hours) to request a claims form.

Who do I contact if there is a burst water main? 

If there is a burst water main contact Scottish Water on 08456 018 855 


Contact Information 

Contact us
 Phone 01563 503 160 
 Email   enquiries@ayrshireroadsalliance.org

Ayrshire Roads Alliance

Opera House

8 John Finnie Street